Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Just one post in the fence....

Last year I planned a surprise birthday party for a friend and in the process of renting a karaoke machine, well the event occurred subsequent to the rental, I started myself on a path that I continue to walk now. I have to say it was not one of my most shining moments. Essentially, it was a case of mistaken identity. I went out to Main & 16th to pick up the karaoke machine for the party but due to leaving work later than planned and serious issues with Translink, I just walked out of the store shortly after 5pm. This was when I had hoped to meet the amazing!C* at my apartment to pick up all the food and drinks and continue on to pick up the ice cream cake and then proceed on to the party venue. (I had also hoped to get a stop in at the nearby Safeway for chips and pop.)

Amazing!C had emailed that she had to pick up amazing!T before coming over to my house so I called her to see where she was at when I got out of the karaoke place. Fortunately, she was just at Cambie & 16th after picking up amazing!T! A great stroke of luck I thought, she can just pick me up and I’ll coordinate with others to pickup the stuff we didn’t have time for anymore. I arranged to meet amazing!C just in the loading zone on 16th after she crossed through the Main intersection and then I called amazing!P to have her pick up the ice cream cake. Although the traffic on 16th was horrible, I was coordinating with amazing!P (and spazzing slightly due to the ever greater time crunch) when I saw a black SUV with a tinted windshield and an Asian woman driving.

“Ah,” I thought, “Amazing!C must be driving her DH’s car for some reason.” Why she would be doing this when she was coming directly from work, I have no idea but that was my brain’s logic as the SUV came to a stop right next to me. Still talking on the phone with amazing!P, I went up to the back passenger door and tried to open it. It was locked so I tapped on the front passenger window to try to get amazing!C’s attention. I finally succeeded in opening the door and shoved the karaoke machine onto the seat when I saw amazing!C getting out of the car to help. I stepped back to the curb to tell amazing!C that I didn’t need her help, we should just get going when I saw that this was a completely unknown to me Asian woman – with very short hair no less! (Amazing!C has gorgeous long hair.)

She was just heading to the crosswalk and I started babbling apologies, yanking the karaoke machine out of the car and shut the door. “I’m so sorry, I really wasn’t trying to steal anything – I thought you were someone else!” She didn’t say anything, merely got out the alarm clicker and secured her vehicle and ran her errand! I was very sure to stand far back away from the car as amazing!P tried to make me feel better about the whole situation. The woman came back, didn’t appear too frightened of me, and drove off. A short while later amazing!C and amazing!T came up in amazing!C’s car, her bright red car, and I was able to continue on my way.

There you have it! *sighs at self* Hope it made you laugh, it’s probably better with hand gestures. Since that day back in August 2008 there have been other incidents of me getting into the wrong car under awkward circumstances but I’ll relate those some other time.

*all friends will be identified with amazing! and then the first letter of their name to provide better living through internet privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment