Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Toillette Affair

I don’t know what it is about the way people interact in a public bathroom that so twigs my attention. For instance, if a toilet hasn’t been flushed all the way I’ll go to another stall. Or if given no choice my first instinct is to use my foot or elbow or some other appendage but my hand to flush the toilet. This of course makes no sense but that my unconscious must assume that the person who was unable to fully flush a toilet must be deficient in other hygiene areas. Lately I’ve just been using a piece of paper to push the handle.

There’s a gal in my office who takes bathroom paranoia even farther however, each time she goes she gets a paper towel to rest her keys on the counter. Half the time, she’ll then leave the paper towel sitting on the counter for someone else to tidy. I’ve seen a paper towel sit on the counter for an entire afternoon. It’s habits like these that make me think that we’ve got to realize we aren’t living in a sterile bubble. We live in a world with cooties; everyone should just remember to wash their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment