Thursday, September 30, 2010

Health at Every Size

"The road to health and happiness is wide enough for everyone." Dr. Linda Bacon

I love food and for a long time I didn't love my body. I like my body more these days but I have noticed that I will be sneaky about food. I don't want people to know how much I've eaten in a day or if I've eaten shortly before getting together friends and then eat again. I'll buy a candy bar and position it behind my book or put it in a pocket. These actions MAKE NO SENSE. I don't (always) feel guilty about eating that food but I do feel guilty about how I will be perceived for eating it in context with societal beauty norms. Which I am inherently supporting by not fully accepting who I am and what shape that takes. I have used coffee to kill hunger so I can skip a meal. I have eaten large plates of food that should make up two meals and finish it in one.

I have an ongoing discussions about food and perceptions of my body with myself all the time. The conversation is a lot more positive than it used to be and I think that folks like Dr. Bacon (I know, I KNOW) help to make those conversations easier and more productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment