Tuesday, October 12, 2010

W/A Magic Button

Weekend Assignment #336: Magic Button

If you could have a magic button that would do one particular thing for you, up to once a day, what would that function be?

I would have a “tidy the apartment” button. I know that if you keep up with housework then the amount of time you have to put into it decreases dramatically. But I’m not good at picking up my laundry or taking out the recycling. I sometimes will just ignore a section of the apartment until I shake myself out it and go on a major cleaning binge. It would be marvelous to have a button that would sweep like a breeze through the apartment to do the dishes, laundry and bathroom – not to mention the laundry! That would be magical.

Extra Credit: Would your answer to the above change if it were a person doing the task (for free and without complaint, using ordinary human abilities) rather than a magic button?

To some extent it would not, as when I was younger I took for granted that my parents would do much of the general tidying. As my brother and I grew older, we were expected to do assigned household tasks. Laundry then was no problem for me and we had a dishwasher that made doing dishes much easier. But on the whole I was still pretty lazy. If the current scenario were to present itself, I would not accept free labour to clean up after me. I would pay someone to do so if I had room in my budget.

Original post

No comments:

Post a Comment