Wednesday, May 19, 2010

One, two, three...catchup posts

I set goals for April with Awesome!K and they were to do the following:
File my taxes
Finish posting daily for April
Finish my excerpts from my trip to Kuwait
Of those goals, I half achieved the taxes and clearly none of the rest. I filed my taxes in Canada and deferred my taxes in the US because I forgot that they have different filing dates. It would simplify my life if both filing deadlines would be April 30th. As it stands, I have to file a nil return for 2009 in the US. Nil and null, two empty words.

So, what activities have been so time consuming that they have kept me from writing out one hundred simple words a day? Mostly the usual: I think about writing; I think about the topics I would write about and the tone I would use. I think about the apologies I would write for not writing enough. I think about how apologies are just another excuse. I think about how a writer should write without excuses. And then I think it’s all just shit, sit down and write. Or to continue with the shit talk – shit or get off the pot.

I think that I am a good person to get projects started – I have the enthusiasm and the basic organizational skills to pull it off. What I typically lack is that key longevity ingredient: follow through. I’ll get something off the ground and then…I just lose focus. The project at hand will still be in my thoughts but in the background while I focus instead on side projects of less importance. I’m not sure how to address this problem because it is not that I care any less about the project. I just get distracted by bright and shiny objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment