Friday, November 6, 2015

Bring on the KITTEHS!

I've always been a cat person. When I was a kid I chose to subscribe to Cat Fancy over any other exciting publications like Scholastic or Dinosaurs. I wanted every book on cats I ever came across at garage sales, book stores or pet stores. It was the best moment of my life when I finally convinced my parents to take in one of the kittens from a neighbour's recent litter. I purchased buttons that said "Destined to be an old lady with 99 cats" and wore them unironically and with pride. That sounded like a great future to me!

Of course, friends and family could hardly mistake my enthusiasm for our feline friends. I've received several toys, figurines and cat related emails over the years. Here's the classic "crazy cat lady" figurine and two cat sculptures from France:


Of course, cats and kittens have taken over the internet much to my eternal joy. I can't say that I agree with the need for box services -- companies that will send you a monthly box of....stuff that is related to a general interest: beauty supplies, health food snacks, and the many and varied "geek" fandoms. All of the contents are unknown to the recipient so there is a high likelihood of these services just contributing to the overall production and consumption of items doomed to ensure our landfills spawn ever larger. However I have to laugh at the fact that there is now a "cat lady" box (LINK HERE) service! It is an injustice to all the people who don't identify as "ladies" that the box is thus particularly labelled. I imagine that if you are a collector of such things, ahem see picture above, that you would be interested regardless of identifying as a "lady" or not. We should just all work to find a new title.. cat minions perhaps?
Photo Source

After many months of exclaiming to Awesome!L about how adorable our cats are, we have decided to share the cute with the world wide interwebs. That's right, last night while watching BBC's Life series we created a Tumblr for our cats. Peak cat minion achieved. After reviewing many delightful cat puns, we decided on the Meow-nificent Duo! (Linky-linky)Also, did you know that there is a website that will take your text and fill it with cat puns??! Seriously, check it out! (LINK HERE) Don't worry, I'll wait. Copy some of your current reading material into the site and just let the awesomeness wash over you.

One thing that has always surprised people about my affection for cats is that I'm sadly quite allergic to them and have asthma. This has never deterred me; in my teenage years I refused to not allow my cat in my bedroom although I did eventually train her to stop sleeping next to my pillow. After university when I lived in apartments with "no pet" policies I would frequently be found catsitting for friends with my handy bottle of Benadryl. That stuff works wonders for me! (Unless you take it with alcohol. Don't do that. Even if the bottle of beer in your hand is a liquid, it is not the RIGHT liquid to use when taking medications. You're welcome internets.) The reason I bring this up is because sublingual allergy treatments are amazing. No waiting in doctor offices to get a shot and then waiting again to be sure you don't get an anaphylactic reaction. I took a regular treatment over the period of three years and have recently stopped. The theory is that my immune system should now be good for three to five years without any further treatment. My Costco bills reflect this -- over the last three years I've only had to buy one bottle of Benadryl! This would not be the case without the effect of my sublingual allergy treatments. For those with asthma in particular, I found this information (Study here) very interesting particularly for us animal lovers.

Tired of all these kittehs? Don't worry, go give your screen a nice scrub...don't forget to expand that window so you get every corner! Cats...so helpful! (Nom nom nom)

WC: 681
NaNoWriMo WC: 1,148

No comments:

Post a Comment