Monday, January 30, 2012

Teaze

Whenever I make myself a cup of Red Rose tea, I always think of my friend Jean. It was at Jean’s house that I first had a cup of Red Rose tea that was actually enjoyable. Every other time I had been served the tea it left my mouth feeling dry and I could feel it catching at the back of my throat. I will be the first to admit that I regularly over steep my tea. For most herbal teas, I find that they can use all the steeping they can get to extract every last bit of flavor. I drink mostly black teas because herbal tea flavours so rarely live up to the aroma that they have. The bouquet on herbal teas can be the most delicious and enticing scents and once you taste them…you’re drinking nice smelling water. I think I’d get more enjoyment from adding them to a bath! Also, whether I’m drinking coffee or tea, I prefer the palate to be strong and full-bodied.

What this attitude fails to account for is that some teas have a precise brewing time, in the same way that coffee has brewing routines. Jean showed me that paying attention to the brewing instructions can produce a perfect cup of tea. Following instructions can be helpful! Who knew? (Okay, I guess a lot of people knew. And then wrote instructions. And warning labels. What-have-you.) So now I pay more attention to my teas – I’ll follow the instructions for the first brewing and decide from there. I got some really yummy tea in Barcelona that I follow the directions for exactly. I got more tea at the German Christmas Market that is fruity and spicy – very refreshing during a season of indulgence. Some teas I continue to over steep and enjoy them just as much as my perfectly timed cuppas. So I owe great thanks to Jean, bringer of properly brewed tea, for broadening my palate to the joys of civilized beverages.

1 comment:

  1. xxx I find that here with the Allen water supply, my usual 3 minute brew is now 2 1/2. Most black teas should be sufficiently brewed at 2.5-3 mins. I hate that bitter taste of over brewed teas.

    You're welcome to come and have tea anytime! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete