Tuesday, July 28, 2009

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.

Sometimes kitschy platitudes are correct, who knew. I’ve found the universe unfolding in such a way that the people I need are here this summer. The cast is comprised of all three of the categories above and I think that gives this season a sort of balance that might otherwise be lacking.

When I was younger, I met someone through a mutual friend. We began to hang out and our mutual friend took me aside one day and warned me that while she was nice, she could be fickle. They used to hang out all the time and then all of a sudden, they stopped and they hardly spoke. My friend was confused because she had no idea what she had done to the other girl to upset her.

I still hung out with the other girl and we had fun and I went off to university. We met up once when I came home for the summer months but I haven’t spoken with her since nor do I know where she is. Our mutual friend is living in the mid-West and is now married; we maintained a sporadic communication throughout university.

I know that I can be much the same as the girl my friend warned me about – I can be close friends with someone and then for no good reason, I’ll lose touch. I’ll screw-up and double book myself or flake out so much that the person doesn’t even want to talk to me any longer. It makes me wonder if I set myself up to be a seasonal friend – if I’m not giving enough into the friendship and taking too much. I can be manipulative and through not wanting to pick a side I can be a bit two-faced. I love and respect my friends that no matter what, you know where you stand with them.

I would like to be more assertive in that fashion. Owning my weaknesses but also my strengths – my loyalty to my friends, my drive to make their lives have some silliness and laughter. I was born in the year of the Dog and I yearn to please; this is my strength and my weakness. But I would hope that I am a good friend to those who would honor me with that title.

2 comments:

  1. I would consider you a lifetime friend who could possibly go on holidays every so often but keeps in touch. I would be heartbroken if we ever lost touch! Because You are my sista from another mista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same lady and I'm glad that we both got to keep the friends after the breakup. :) We've got a lifetime's worth of adventures to share!

    ReplyDelete