Tuesday, February 8, 2011

All About Me

I have twice met women who I’ve felt could be glimpses into my future; a moment where timelines overlap and enlightenment is granted. The first woman I met was my second year creative non-fiction professor. Long silver hair plaited into a simple braid, wearing flowing earth tone clothes and Birkenstock clogs. She was just what I hoped to be as an established writer and encouraging other people in their own creative endeavors.

The next woman I met was not much older than I was and had the same career. We shared many of the same interests and the same intensity but hers were honed to a further degree. In many ways she showed me what I would be like if my I didn’t temper my hobbies or group interactions. The result was someone who has traits that annoy the hell out of me at times. She’s a signpost of where I might end up by following the safe route.

Recently I have met someone who could be a past me and it is truly bizarre. We are both from northern California with a Norwegian background. She came to finish her degree at UBC but has a more analytical mind and actually spent time living in Norway. It feels as though she represents a way that I could’ve gone if I had followed some of my other dreams. She’s younger than me by three or so years and I sometimes feel like I’m talking to myself.

One of my favorite movies is “Sliding Doors” which has one character experiencing two timeline possibilities originating from one action: catching or missing a train. Perhaps it is my exposure to science fiction which makes me more credulous when it comes to the concept of multiple timelines in everyday life. You never know who you’ll meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment