Thursday, August 27, 2009

i'm yours - revised

I took a lyrics and libretto course and because I have no scoring or musical capability I adapted the tunes of others. I would analyze the original lyrics – syllables, rhyming patterns and number of words. Then I would write my own material to suit the melody and beats of the original material. This was in essence cheating – I did not have to determine how the words fit in with the music. Nonetheless, I found the process challenging.

summer stars came out tonight, shining in my eyes
the brightest star flew and raced across the skies
its path traversing the land, seeming so close to hand

i'll paint you a picture with the loveliest of words
hoping that my mind is as agile as your hands
sweet inspiration, how you come over me

see that how that girl run, yah you fly so free
i hope you'll fly with me

run right through the door to my waiting arms
i'll keep you in my heart safe from harm
doesn't matter how far you roam, roam, roam, roam

travelling feet and open mind, so much more for you to find
the world is yours to enjoy
friend or lover, i'll always welcome you home, home, home, home, home

see how that girl run, yah you fly so free
i hope you'll fly with me
you make me feel so high, send me soaring
want you so close to me

may i serve you up some cheese
as corny as can be
so many words of praise
woo you with my turn of phrase

your laugh and your smile make everything worthwhile
filling me with so much joy i could withstand any trial
so much fun with the games we play
you can pin me, lay me down any day

take the time to map out the stars on me, the constellations
the movements of our desires, spread out for you to see
your voice in my ears, the only thing i long to hear

see that girl run, yah you fly so free
i hope you'll fly with me

run right through the door to my waiting arms
i'll keep you in my heart safe from harm
doesn't matter how far you roam, with me you'll be home

my lady fair, fair lady
you make me feel so high
send me soaring
want you, want you, want you so close
with me

1 comment:

  1. Quite fascinating how words can penetrate the soul.
    Thank you for sharing your composition of the I'm Yours song.

    ReplyDelete