Saturday, October 22, 2011

Smooth moves

We played our first game of the fall season in August; a friendly scrimmage with another team and someone’s friend who agreed to referee. It’s just about my favorite way to start a season: a no-pressure game against a friendly, talented team that we like. I haven’t played any soccer since early July and I’ve been a slouch about my running. It follows that my fitness is not what would be called great.

We were off and playing when I had a moment. During league games I am a cautious player, preferring to use my tried and true moves over any new tricks used at practice. So when I had the ball coming to me ahead of the opposing team’s player, I figured on trying something new. I gave a bit of a push and tried step over the ball with my left foot and kick it with my right foot. Nothing would do but my left foot stepping directly on top of the ball, its curved surface giving way beneath me as I tumbled ass over tea kettle.

This was a friendly game and so everyone stopped to check that I was alright before awarding a free kick. One of the women on the other team called out, Don’t hurt yourself – it’s just a practice game! I laughed it off and continued playing the rest of the game. We didn’t win that game but it was a great example of why I love my team. We’re a fun bunch of women who love soccer.

Of course, the next day my neck was killing me. I did the responsible thing and waited five days before getting my neck treated and then only on the day before a weekend soccer tournament. The tournament was fun and I didn’t trip over myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment